The Mechanics' Institute Review (MIR) is inviting submissions for Issue 9, and the deadline for submissions is 5pm Wednesday 8th February 2012. MIR aims to showcase the best work of Birkbeck's creative writing students, publishing their stories alongside those of established authors. MIR9 will be distributed to agents, publishers and the literary media, sold nationally through high-street book shops and online, and publicised through advertising and events.
Perhaps even more important than the opportunity MIR9 presents to have your work published is the opportunity it presents to have your work edited. Students who have had their submissions selected for previous issues are unanimous in their feedback: the editing process is an invaluably useful - and enjoyable! - learning experience.
Guidelines for submissions:
1. We are looking for short stories or standalone novel extracts of up to 5,000 words.
2. Submissions must be your own original work, and previously unpublished.
3. You may send only one submission per person.
4. Eligibility: MA, BA and Certificate CW students past and present, including those who have been previously published in MIR, are eligible to submit.
5. Please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions should be double-spaced, with each page numbered. Please give your name, the title of your submission and word count on the first page. Files should be in Microsoft Word format, with your name and the title of your submission as the filename. To help us check eligibility, please indicate the name of your course and, for alumni, the year(s) you attended, in the covering email.
6. The deadline for submissions is 5pm Wednesday 8th February 2012.
7. We will let you know whether your submission has been selected by Friday 29th March 2012.
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com
We look forward to reading your submissions.
The Mechanics' Institute Review Editorial Team December 2012