The Mechanics’ Institute Review (MIR) is inviting submissions for its milestone tenth issue.
MIR has already enjoyed nine years of showcasing the best work from Birkbeck’s creative writing students alongside new writing by established authors, earning considerable critical acclaim and wide readership. To celebrate our tenth anniversary, we’d like to make MIR10 the most memorable issue yet, and would particularly like to include contributions from alumni who span the full decade of Birkbeck’s creative writing programme. Be part of the high-profile celebrations and send your submission by the deadline of 5pm on Wednesday 6th February.
As with previous issues, MIR10 will be distributed to agents, publishers, and the literary media, sold nationally through high-street book shops and online, and publicised through advertising and events.
Perhaps even more important than the opportunity MIR10 presents to have your work published in a milestone issue is the opportunity to have your work edited. Students who have had their submissions selected for previous issues are unanimous in their feedback: the editing process is an invaluably useful – and enjoyable! – learning experience.
Guidelines for submissions:
- Send short stories or standalone novel extracts of up to 5,000 words.
- Submissions must be your own original work, and previously unpublished.
- Each person may send only one submission.
- Eligibility: MA CW students past and present, including those who have been previously published in MIR, plus current BA and Certificate CW students are eligible to submit.
- Please email your submission to email@example.com.
- Format: Submissions should be double-spaced, with each page numbered. Please give your name, the title of your submission and word count on the first page. Files should be in Microsoft Word format, with your name and the title of your submission as the filename. To help us check eligibility, please indicate the name of your course and, for alumni, the year(s) you attended, in the covering email.
- The deadline for submissions is 5pm on Wednesday 6th February 2013.
- We will let you know whether your submission has been selected by Friday 22nd March 2013.
If you have any queries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to reading your submissions.
The Mechanics’ Institute Review Editorial Team